Today's cars, light trucks, and sport-utility vehicles are high-tech marvels with digital dashboards, oxygen sensors, electronic computers, unibody construction, and more. They run better, longer, and more efficiently than models of years past.
But when it comes to repairs, some things stay the same. The following tips should help you along the way:
Do your homework before taking your vehicle in for repairs or service.
- Read the owner's manual to learn about the vehicle's systems and components.
- Follow the recommended service schedules.
- Keep a log of all repairs and service.
When you think about it, you know your car better than anyone else. You drive it every day and know how it feels and sounds when everything is right. So don't ignore its warning signals.
Use all of your senses to inspect your car frequently. Check for:
- Unusual sounds, odors, drips, leaks, smoke, warning lights, gauge readings.
- Changes in acceleration, engine performance, gas mileage, fluid levels.
- Worn tires, belts, hoses.
- Problems in handling, braking, steering, vibrations.
- Note when the problem occurs.
- Is it constant or periodic?
- When the vehicle is cold or after the engine has warmed up?
- At all speeds? Only under acceleration? During braking? When shifting?
- When did the problem first start?
Once you are at our location, communicate your findings.
- Be prepared to describe the symptoms.
- Carry a written list of the symptoms that you can give us.
- Resist the temptation to suggest a specific course of repair. Just as you would with your physician, tell us where it hurts and how long it's been that way, but let the technician diagnose and recommend a remedy.
Stay involved. . . Ask questions.
- Ask as many questions as needed to fully understand your repair. Ask for laymen terms if needed.
- Don't rush the technician to make an on-the-spot diagnosis. You may ask to be called and apprised of the problem, course of action, and costs before work begins.
- Before you leave, be sure you understand all shop policies regarding labor rates, guarantees, and acceptable methods of payment.
- Leave a telephone number where you can be called.
Discover More About Appointments and Repair Services At Darrell's Auto Service and Towing in Wallingford
Auto Repair Near Northford
Auto Repair Near North Haven
what our customers say
My car was in the shop and I borrowed my mother's. It died on the highway and Geico was able to get me a tow much sooner than AAA. The driver arrived exactly when he told me he would, and was a very capable, nice, pleasant young man. Cody got into the car, which due to the mechanical issue, locked with the keys inside it and was very empathetic when I explained my issue of PTSD on highways, the result of an accident. He drove carefully, was a good conversationalist and was careful to check my taste in music. I would absolutely recommend this company. They were quick, efficient and have an excellent staff. Thank you!
I had a really good experience, I would highly recommend anyone to use this company. My car was towed with great care, my lower ball joint were broken and I was concerned that they wouldn't be able to put the car on the tow truck. But Luis reassured me that it will be ok and was very polite. He treated my car like it was his.
I've been using Darrell's for 5+ years now. I wish I found them sooner! They're the best Auto Repair shop I've ever dealt with. They're reliable, trustworthy, VERY knowledgeable, and the entire crew are just "good people". They care about their customers and take an extreme amount of pride in what they do. Whether it's routine maintenance, or issues with your vehicle, you can absolutely TRUST they will do a great job. I have 3 children, with a couple older vehicles in the mix and they always make sure they're safe and road ready. For my newer vehicle, I'd been using a dealer for quite some time. After first going to Darrell's through a neighbor's recommendation, I found out the dealer wasn't providing nearly the same level of service that Darrell's does. They go above and beyond to make sure your vehicle is in the best shape possible. Thanks to Darrell, Chris, Leon, Lori and the entire crew!
I want to give a shout-out to Brian who towed my car last night during torrential rain. He was very kind and somehow got me in and out of the tow truck safely. I am almost 72, so this was not an easy feat. He also went beyond the call of duty and put my garbage bin and recyclable bin out near the road for pickup today. I can't thank him enough. And thank you for your service in the Navy.