Courtesy of the Automotive Service Association
The following simple and inexpensive preventive checks will greatly extend the life of the vehicle, ensure safer operation and even benefit the environment.
Always consult your owner's manual for individual service schedules because maintenance requirements vary by manufacturer.
- Always consult your owner's manual, but a good rule of thumb is to have the oil filter changed regularly - every 3,000 to 4,000 miles.
- Have all fluids checked, including brake, power steering, transmission/transaxle, windshield washer solvent and antifreeze. These fluids play a large role in the safety and performance of the vehicle.
- Check tire inflation. Under-inflated tires can result in a loss of fuel efficiency. This is the least expensive form of preventive and safety maintenance. Tires should be checked once a month.
- Keep your engine tuned. A fouled spark plug or plugged/restricted fuel injector can reduce fuel efficiency by as much as 30 percent.
- Have the chassis lubricated frequently. This step extends the life of the moving components of the vehicle's suspension system.
- Check battery cables and posts for corrosion and clean them as needed. The battery fluid also should be checked and filled if it is low, unless it is a maintenance-free battery.
- Have the lighting system checked frequently, including headlights, turn signals, and brake and taillights.
- Check windshield washer blades for cracks, tears and windshield contact. Replace them at least once a year, or sooner if streaking begins.
- Inspect engine belts regularly. Worn belts will affect the engine performance. Look for cracks and missing sections or segments.
- Have the air filtration system checked frequently. The air filter should be checked every other oil change for clogging or damage. This system ensures that the vehicle is performing at its peak condition.
|Service Interval Schedule:|
Vehicle System or Component
Check Every 3,000 Miles
My car was in the shop and I borrowed my mother's. It died on the highway and Geico was able to get me a tow much sooner than AAA. The driver arrived exactly when he told me he would, and was a very capable, nice, pleasant young man. Cody got into the car, which due to the mechanical issue, locked with the keys inside it and was very empathetic when I explained my issue of PTSD on highways, the result of an accident. He drove carefully, was a good conversationalist and was careful to check my taste in music. I would absolutely recommend this company. They were quick, efficient and have an excellent staff. Thank you!
I had a really good experience, I would highly recommend anyone to use this company. My car was towed with great care, my lower ball joint were broken and I was concerned that they wouldn't be able to put the car on the tow truck. But Luis reassured me that it will be ok and was very polite. He treated my car like it was his.
I've been using Darrell's for 5+ years now. I wish I found them sooner! They're the best Auto Repair shop I've ever dealt with. They're reliable, trustworthy, VERY knowledgeable, and the entire crew are just "good people". They care about their customers and take an extreme amount of pride in what they do. Whether it's routine maintenance, or issues with your vehicle, you can absolutely TRUST they will do a great job. I have 3 children, with a couple older vehicles in the mix and they always make sure they're safe and road ready. For my newer vehicle, I'd been using a dealer for quite some time. After first going to Darrell's through a neighbor's recommendation, I found out the dealer wasn't providing nearly the same level of service that Darrell's does. They go above and beyond to make sure your vehicle is in the best shape possible. Thanks to Darrell, Chris, Leon, Lori and the entire crew!
I want to give a shout-out to Brian who towed my car last night during torrential rain. He was very kind and somehow got me in and out of the tow truck safely. I am almost 72, so this was not an easy feat. He also went beyond the call of duty and put my garbage bin and recyclable bin out near the road for pickup today. I can't thank him enough. And thank you for your service in the Navy.